Note From The President
a note in National Civic Review by Christopher T. Gates
(our site's note review)
This note, written by Christopher T. Gates, president of the National Civic League, calls for adoption of the following standards of healthy communities in community renewal:
(1) They recognize that times change, and they donít cling to the old paradigm. The Tofflers would agree.
(2) They know that business, government and the nonprofit sector all need to be effective community resources.
(3) They are win-win, not win-lose.
(4) They honor diversity but focus on shared values as a common denominator.
(5) They know that power has to be widely and thinly dispersed, so they bring all points of view to the table.
(6) They cogitate on the process of change as well as the goals of change.
(7) They see value in both dialogue and action.
(8) They support both traditional political action and grassroots community activism.
(9) They take local responsibility and donít wait for or rely on the social engineers from Washington.
(10) They focus on people issues, not just those of institutions.